(This is a part-time position.)
Provide technical support in the area of Environment, Safety, and Health (ES&H) with regard to construction projects, project management, and other programmatic responsibilities. Interpret codes, standards, and regulations, and determine their applicability to specific construction projects and related activities.
1) Assist with the development of design/construction documents for projects; review and preparation of administrative documents and investigations; conduct of walkthroughs and inspections on a regular basis in the areas of construction, maintenance, and janitorial services; development, implementation, and management of information programs; and development of reports on ES&H with regard to construction activities.
2) Assist with the following client ES&H programs: Air Quality, Asbestos Control, Lead (Pb) Control, Confined-Space Entry, Fire Protection, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Waste Management, Indoor Air Quality, Industrial Hygiene, NEPA, Pressure System, Spill Control, Vehicle Safety, Walk-About, Water Quality, Worker protection Management, Roof Entry, Hoisting, Rigging & Mechanized Equipment, Construction Safety, Federal Occupational Safety and Health, and Electrical Safety.
3) Review, investigate, and analyze as directed by the client and within the scope of the following technical areas:
• Assist in the preparation of management, technical, and planning documents, to include the following:
- DOE Orders/Manuals/Guidance
- Code of Federal Regulations (CFRs) and other applicable documents related to ES&H and programmatic documents
- DOE ES&H Policies and Procedures related to construction safety and associated activities
- DOE Guidance Documents/Implementation Plans
• Assist in providing guidance in planning, developing, inputting, updating, and maintaining a construction tracking database and performing critical analyses for trending and statistical purposes and the potential submission of any accident/incident report related to construction projects and other incidents involving federal, contractors and general public. Conduct and participate in investigations when required; provide guidance on the adequacy and appropriateness regarding findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
• Assist in the conduct of ES&H reviews and appraisals, preparation of review reports, and the follow-up and tracking of action plans relating to construction projects.
• Review existing and proposed ES&H-related laws, standards and regulations for applicability to and impact on designs and construction operations at the site. Maintain inventory of equipment, tools, and supplies as required.
• Prepare documents, provide comments, and/or provide evaluations of documents for use in the following areas:
- DOE Orders/Manuals/Guidance
- CFRs and other applicable documents related to ES&H and programmatic documents
- Conceptual Design Reports
- Design Criteria
- Computer Models and Codes
- Budget Data Sheets
• Assist in meeting programmatic responsibility with regard to construction and occupational safety of facilities at the site. This shall include reviews and approvals of A/E's Title I, II, and III drawings and specifications for construction projects including hazardous materials. Provide support in the development of planning and guidance documents.
• Assist in providing technical writing, editing, publication, and training support, which includes conducting background research and providing associated editorial assistance and word processing services as required. Assist in the preparation of reports, manuals, handbooks, and audiovisual materials.
• Develop and implement training programs to ensure federal and contractor employees meet or exceed requirements for workplace-specific assignments. Assist in the training in OSHA-related regulatory compliance, technical training, where lack of training or information could have safety impact, and training relevant to activities which may have safety-related concerns or requirements.
• Assist in the management of the review of plans and programs to meet OSHA or other applicable requirements.
• Assist in the preparation of cost estimates, review and recommendations on procedures and policies, corrective actions to be taken to correct deficiencies identified in safety and health inspections of the construction activities at the site. Participate in recommending ES&H priorities for projects to ensure occupational safety and health requirements are met. This shall include technical evaluations to establish positions on proposed costs.
- BS in Engineering or Industrial Safety
- At least ten (10) years' experience in construction/maintenance/environmental safety
- Previous experience with implementation of 10 CFR 851,10 CFR 830, DOE 0 420.1 B, and related standards and guides
- DOE "L" or DOD clearance
- Expertise in the fields of construction and industrial safety, fire protection, environmental science, industrial hygiene, occupational safety and health protection, waste management, National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) compliance, and other technical activities
- Certified Safety Specialist; Certified Safety Manager (Construction); Certified Safety Executive; Certified Safety Professional
- Experience in the nuclear/criticality safety industry through support to the DOE or the commercial nuclear industry
- Extensive experience and technical knowledge in construction and maintenance oversight