The Total Rewards Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of company salary, pensions and benefits structure for employees. This includes designing, planning, and implementing corporate policies and procedures that adhere to legal requirements. The Total Rewards Manager will achieve these goals in a cost-effective manner, while administering health plans, and retirement programs that meet the needs of employees. Integrity and the ability to provide value are crucial for this role.
- Design and implement compensation and benefits policies; evaluate and revise programs based on changes in policy direction and trend analysis.
- Develop salary policies to ensure that pay practices remain equitable and competitive for the company.
- Administer and manage health and retirement plans, such as medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, retirement plans, STD/LTD and WSIB.
- Manage outsourced programs and vendor relationships for benefits packages to ensure these programs meet employee needs.
- Monitor existing vendor relationships for performance; identify cost savings opportunities and assure accurate payments.
- Ensure that corporate compensation and benefits policies adhere to provincial standards and guidelines.
- Collect and analyze survey data to benchmark the company’s position; recommend changes to salary and benefit structures as required.
- Prepare and distribute reports, employee manuals, benefit package descriptions, and other publications.
- Provide leadership to employees, supervisors, and business units to ensure that compensation and benefit programs are understood by all.
- Remain abreast of trends and developments in laws or regulations that apply to compensation and benefits.
- Create policies and procedures and programs for assigning salaries during employee recruitment, placement, and orientation.
- Establish ongoing communication plan via materials such as plan summaries or descriptions, newsletters, home mailings, and so on.
- Process pension payments and associated statements, etc.
- Maintain records for pension and life assurance contributions made by employees; liaise with service providers to ensure funds are transferred.
- Handle all inquiries regarding compensation and benefits.
- University degree in Human Resource, Finance, or Business preferred.
- Strategic Pension Management is preferred.
- Compensation certification with CBP, CCP or CEBS designation.
- Minimum of 7 years experience managing compensation and benefits – US benefits administration and knowledge of COBRA are definite assets.
- Demonstrated progressive experience in overall compensation and benefits analysis and management.
- Strong understanding of job evaluation principles and methodology.
- Knowledge of current best practices in Human Resources administration, salary trends, etc.
- Expertise with Workday is a definite asset.
- Experience managing the processing of salaries, bonuses, commissions, and other forms of compensation.
- Strong knowledge of health and benefits programs, sick pay (STD/LTD), WSIB and retirement plans, etc.
- Experience with contract management and management of complex health or insurance plans provided by external vendors.
- Knowledge of laws as they relate to compensation and benefits.
- Strong writing, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Able to handle confidential information in an ethical manner.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Able to respond to situations with a calm and steady demeanour.
- Strong customer service focus.